Saturday, March 29, 2008

DADS CAR CARE TIPS

KIDS SUMMER IS GETTING NEAR. WITH THAT SAID I WOULD ASK ALL OF YOU TO CHECK THE BELTS AND HOSES ON YOUR CARS AND TRUCKS. TO DO THIS LOOK AT THEM BUT ALSO CHECK FOR WEAR OR CRACKS BOTH IN THE HOSES AND THE BELTS. THE BELTS ALSO MAY SHOW SIGNS OF SLIPPING WHEN YOU SEE A SHINNY OR GLAZED AREA ON THEM. CHECK YOUR ANTI-FREEZE COOLANT BOTH IN THE RADIATOR AND OVERFLOW. SOME OF YOUR CARS ONLY HAVE A OVERFLOW TANK. LIKE SARA AND ERIC'S PONTIAC.
IF YOU HAVE NOT CHANGED YOUR OIL IN THE PAST 6 MONTHS OR 5,000 MILES DO IT. THERE ARE MANY OPINIONS ON THIS BUT THIS IS A GOOD STARTING POINT TO SHOT FOR.
YOUR AIR FILTERS SHOULD BE CHANGED EVERY 15,000 MILES UNLESS YOU ARE IN DUSTY CONDITIONS AND THEN YOU NEED TO INSPECT THEM MORE OFTEN.
YOUR TIRES ARE VERY IMPORTANT ALSO. KEEP THE PRESSURE CHECKED IT SHOULD BE AT OR JUST ABOVE THE RECOMMENDED PRESSURE ON THE SIDE WALL OF THE TIRES. IN THE WINTER WHEN IT IS COLD IT TAKES MORE AIR TO INFLATE THEN. NOW WITH WARMER TEMPERTURES THEY WILL BECOME OVER INFLATED. YOUR TIRE PRESSURE SHOULD BE CHECKED EVERY MONTH. YOU SHOULD ROTATE THEM EVERY 5,000 TO 7,500 MILE TO MAKE THEM LAST THE LONGEST.

4 comments:

Laura's blog said...

I was just thinking about that today. I haven't checked my oil in a while...I am on it. The tips on belts and hoses I am glad you said something I will do that also.

Eric and Sara said...

I've made a complete check list for Eric to look into in the next couple of weeks. I like having the information right there at my finger tips. And I love that gravy recipe. I didn't know you could use it for one of my favorite meals! I can't wait to make it!

Eric and Sara said...

What say ye about using High Mileage and Synthetic Oil? Do they just want you to spend more?
And do you know if those little STP fuel treatment/cleaner bottles do what they say they do- clean your injectors and save gas mileage?

Jeffrey K Hunt said...

Dad this Blog is awesome I look forward to hearing more of your infinite wisdom, that we all listened to so carefully over the years. I wish I had many times, it would have saved me so many times in so many situations. Love Ya!